A mattress is one piece of furniture that is hardly replaced in a home. Even though it is used more than any other furniture. You spend about a third of your life in bed still most people believe that buying a mattress is a once-in-a-lifetime affair. Some believe that a mattress should be replaced after 8 years. While some use the warranty on their mattress to determine when they should replace it. However, what you should know is that the quality of your mattress and how you use it is what determines when it should be replaced. Different mattress types have different lifespans, this is according to the materials used and how they are built. Even though mattresses can be a significant expenditure, it is completely beneficial to replace them often. Because over time, your mattress begins to lose its form and starts to sag, creating dips and bumps. And even the best mattresses will one day need to be replaced. But since mattresses do not come with a firm expiration date, here are some signs you should look out for to know when to change your mattress.
1. YOUR MATTRESS IS OVER 8 YEARS OLD: The age of the mattress is always the first thing to consider. If your mattress is over 8 years old, then it’s high time you change it. Contrary to popular belief, mattresses are not meant to last forever. And even the best-quality mattresses still need to be changed.
2. YOUR MATTRESS IS STARTING TO SAG: If your mattress is starting to sag, this is the first obvious sign that you need a new mattress. Sagging occurs when the coil or spring in a mattress starts to weaken or break. You know a mattress is sagging when there is a visible body imprint on the mattress. If you get up and your mattress does not go back to its normal form, it’s time to get a new one.
3. YOUR MATTRESS MAKES NOISE: Squeaking and screeching sounds are signs that you need to change your mattress. A noisy mattress means that the coils or springs are starting to age and need to be replaced. This also means that the mattress would no longer give you the support that you need.
4. YOU WAKE UP WITH ACHES AND PAIN: This is another obvious sign that you are sleeping on a bad mattress. Over time, old mattresses lose their ability to supply proper support. And this creates substantial pains in the neck, shoulders, hips, and lower back. If you always wake up in the morning with severe pains, it’s time to change your mattress.
5. YOU FIND IT HARD TO FALL OR STAY ASLEEP: One clear piece of evidence that you are sleeping on a bad mattress is when you find it difficult to sleep. You can’t get comfortable in any position you take and you see yourself tossing and turning all night. And you also find yourself waking up often during the night. This means your mattress has lost its comfort and support.
6. YOU SLEEP BETTER ON A DIFFERENT MATTRESS: It might be time for you to change your mattress if you notice that you sleep much better on a different mattress. If you find yourself going to another bedroom to sleep or you sleep better on the couch, this is a sign that your mattress is causing you to have trouble sleeping.
7. YOUR MATTRESS GIVES YOU ALLERGIES: Dust mites are one of the foremost causes of allergens and they flourish in mattresses. If you wake up with watery eyes, a running nose, and a headache, and if you notice that your allergies seem to get worse at night, it might be an indication that you need a new mattress.
8. YOU WAKE UP FEELING TIRED: Different elements can make you wake up feeling tired but taking a look at your mattress is a good step. A good mattress should be comfortable, support your body and help you achieve quality sleep. And this enables you to wake up feeling well-rested. But an aging mattress can make you spend the whole night tossing and turning, and you wake up feeling tired and groggy.
9. YOUR MATTRESS IS TORN AND WORN: A worn-out mattress with dips and lumps or with visible signs like springs poking out, will not support you properly and will be a refuge for dust mites and bacteria. And this is a clear sign that you need a new mattress.
10. YOU FEEL HOT/EXCESSIVE HEAT WHILE SLEEPING: A mattress’ temperature regulation capabilities mostly rely on the materials used in its construction and when these materials are worn out, the mattress tends to produce excessive heat. When you always feel hot at night while sleeping, it might be an indication that you need to change your mattress.
There are many reasons to change your mattress but the main reason is comfort. A worn-out mattress can meddle with not only your ability to sleep but also your overall health in general. Ditch out that old mattress today and get a mattress from us now!