This is a question a lot of people are asking. And the answer is somewhat complicated, but let’s try to break it down. According to studies, one in every ten people has minor or severe body or back pain, sore muscles, and stiffness when sleeping or waking up. This meddles with their regular everyday tasks and activities. And when these signs are overlooked, they might advance to more serious health issues. As a result, it is advisable to go for mattresses that provide proper comfort and support.
WHAT ARE ORTHOPEDIC MATTRESSES?
Orthopedic mattresses are mattresses designed to offer a firmer sleep surface, providing targeted support for your back and joints. Orthopedics is a medical term relating to muscles, joints, and the spine. It is a field of medicine that specializes in the musculoskeletal system which consists of the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Orthopedic mattresses support your joints and muscles by distributing body weights evenly, relieving pressure points in the body. Orthopedic mattresses are mostly recommended to people with pains or aches, people recovering from injuries, older people, and athletes. And there’s a major misconception that only these sets of people are required to use it. However, it all depends on personal preference.
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages:
ADVANTAGES OF ORTHOPEDIC MATTRESSES
1. GOOD FOR PAIN RELIEF: Orthopedic mattresses are known to provide proper support for your body while sleeping. This helps to ease back, neck, or joint pain and enables you to get the best possible sleep. It is very beneficial for patients who have undergone surgery, suffered joint fractures, or arthritis, or patients who have sustained accidental spinal injuries.
2. IMPROVES BLOOD CIRCULATION: Pressure points form while sleeping on a hard or soft mattress, and these pressure points contribute to the restriction of blood circulation. Orthopedic mattresses relieve these pressure points by evenly distributing your weight and improving blood circulation.
3. PROMOTES GOOD POSTURE: The most important feature of an orthopedic mattress is its ability to support the spine. It promotes good spine alignment to help relieve the stress on the spine and also helps you adopt a healthy sleep posture.
4. CONTOURS TO YOUR BODY: Orthopedic mattresses are designed to contour your body by providing support and comfort where you need it the most. This improves your overall sleep quality by reducing tossing and turning. If you share a bed with a partner that tosses and turns, orthopedic mattresses stop the movement from traveling from one side of the bed to another to avoid disturbance while sleeping.
5. MORE DURABLE: Orthopedic mattresses are designed with high-quality materials, so they are generally more durable than traditional mattresses. The materials are easier to clean and maintain and pretty much last longer. This makes orthopedic mattresses a wise investment for people looking for long-lasting comfort and support.
DISADVANTAGES OF ORTHOPEDIC MATTRESSES
1. HIGH PRICE TAG: Orthopedic mattresses are more expensive than traditional mattresses because it is designed with high-quality materials. On average, an orthopedic mattress costs 50% more than an ordinary mattress. And due to this, not everyone is willing or able to invest such a great deal in a mattress.
2. INCREASED WEIGHT: Orthopedic mattresses are often thick and heavy, making them difficult to transport. Because they are mostly made with high-density foams to provide proper support, they tend to be hefty and challenging to move.
3. FIRMNESS: Orthopedic mattresses are firmer than ordinary mattresses. Due to this, people who are used to sleeping on soft mattresses might not be too comfortable sleeping on orthopedic mattresses. However, not all orthopedic mattresses are extremely firm. Some are medium-firm, which is suitable for most sleepers.
4. RELIABILITY/AUTHENTICITY ISSUES: Many companies sell normal mattresses as orthopedic mattresses. This is because distinguishing an orthopedic mattress from a regular mattress is quite tricky. A lack of knowledge about what to watch out for before buying can put you at risk of buying the wrong one. This is why it is important to do the necessary research beforehand.
In conclusion, the advantages of orthopedic mattresses outweigh the disadvantages. The primary goal of a good orthopedic mattress is to enable your muscles to relax so your body and mind can properly recover while you sleep. This means that orthopedic mattresses are not only meant for the elderly or people with body pains or health issues. It is suitable for everyone who wants to maintain a healthy sleep posture and hygiene. So what are you waiting for? Get a mattress from us now!